One of Sigma’s favorite traditions is our Thanksgiving Lunch! We always have so much to be thankful for; growth and prosperity, friendship with clients and each other, and great South Louisiana cooking! This year Sigma fried 8 turkeys, 2 hams, cooked pastalaya, and employees served all the traditional Thanksgiving sides, plus more! And no Thanksgiving dinner would be complete, without Jimmy Beck’s Mississippi Mud Pie (as seen below)!
We hope as you share Thanksgiving with your family and friends, you enjoy it is as much as we did. And always remember, safety is the number one priority when cooking. Below are some great reminders as we head into Thanksgiving (Source: American Red Cross):
COOKING SAFETY: Cooks should avoid wearing loose clothing or dangling sleeves while preparing the holiday meal. Never leave the stove unattended – if the cook has to leave the kitchen even for a short time, they should turn off the stove. More cooking safety steps are:
• Check food regularly.
• Use a timer as a reminder that the stove or oven is on.
• Keep children and pets away from the cooking area.
• Keep anything that can catch fire – pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, and towels or curtains—away from the stove, oven or any other appliance in the kitchen that generates heat.
• Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to prevent grease buildup.
• Consider purchasing a fire extinguisher to keep in the kitchen.
• Always check the kitchen before going to bed or leaving the home to make sure all stoves, ovens, and small appliances are turned off.